Call us 541-382-5355

Women In Paddling

Friday, September 10, 2010

Judy Shasek Cancer Survivor Paddles 33 miles


She's calling it a Karmathon, in honor of 10 years as a cancer survivor. 61-year-old Judy Shasek plans to celebrate in a big way.

Ten loops on the Deschutes River near the Old Mill on her stand up paddle board.

"I wanted to get outside and do something that was upbeat and a celebration. I could share it with where I live, with my home, with people. But it's also meditative and personal. I'll actually be on the board alone," says Shasek.

Shasek will wear ribbons honoring fellow survivors, those battling the disease, and in honor of those have died from cancer on her shirt during the 33 mile journey.

"I had a relatively rare form it's called a sarcoma, and the prognosis wasn't that great. But thanks to my husband he got me to the right doctors really fast. He was really pushy about that. I credit him a lot for why I am here today, so it's a lot for my husband Ed as well," says Shasek.

Taking up stand up paddle boarding with her husband three summers ago, she felt what better way to celebrate being cancer free than in her home town of Bend, doing one of her favorite activities.

Practicing today on the Deschutes River, Shasek will start her 10 loops at dawn Tuesday the 21st.

"It's always energizing, and that's the thing, like life it's constantly changing. The river does, the ocean does and it's great to have something to experience nature that way," says Shasek.

To fill out a ribbon for the Karmathon visit Stand Up Paddle Bend near the Old Mill District before September 21st.

Stand Up Paddle is located at 550 SW Industrial Way, #115, Bend, OR 97702

Info@StandUpPaddleBend.com
http://www.standuppaddlebend.com/

original article credit: http://kohd.com/news/local/188314

1 Comments :

Blogger FootGaming said...

Hey - thanks for mentioning the Karmathon. I warmed up for the miles to paddle next week at The Gathering getting 2nd in Women's SUP with my Kialoa paddle rocketing me onto tons of great glassy waves. I am so pleased with all the wonderful people sharing names to remember, pray for and celebrate to go on the ribbons at StandUp Paddle Bend in the Old Mill area by the river (Colorado St)

September 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Call us: 541-382-5355 | Contact Us
Facebook Twitter